Working with children and young people in your golf club can be incredibly rewarding but it also comes with responsibility. One of the most important aspects of this responsibility is your obligation to keep those who are in your care safe from harm.
Hosting A Safeguarding Workshop
If your club is willing to host a Safeguarding Workshop please contact email@example.com.
I Would Like To Attend A Workshop
If you would like to be added to our waiting list to attend a Safeguarding 1,2 or 3 workshop please complete an expression of interest by clicking here
CGI Safeguarding Workshops
We currently do not have any upcoming safeguarding workshops planned. Please see below for a list of upcoming workshops that are being delivered by the Local Sports Partnerships to find one near you.
Sport Ireland Covid-19: Return to Sport Online resource
Republic of Ireland
Due to the current situation, we have not been able to run our safeguarding workshops in clubs. To assist clubs in getting their junior sections and programmes in place, Sport Ireland have put the below measures in place which will provide you with an overview of Children First requirements and will also give a sporting context.
- Completion of Tusla’s Children First eLearning programme CLICK HERE
- Completion of Sport Ireland’s Safeguarding 1 online refresher CLICK HERE
Once we are in a position to resume normal operations, the workshops will be re-scheduled and you must attend a face to face workshop. If you wish to complete the above online workshops we would ask that you must let CGI know so we can maintain a record and forward to Sport Ireland.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details: Name: Address: Contact Number: Golf Club: Date SI Safeguarding Refresher Completed: Date Tusla’s Childrens First Completed:
In light of the current situation, Sport NI have revised their Safeguarding Children and Young People Workshop to be able to deliver it online, however there are a number of changes to the format as outlined below:
- The workshop will be delivered in two parts – part one is pre-learning that participants are required to undertake in advance of the online workshop. This consists of a 25 minute video which provides important elements of the face-to-face workshop that has been adapted to be undertaken prior to the online workshop. It is mandatory that participants undertake the pre-learning as they will be tested on their knowledge of it within the online workshop. They will also receive the Safeguarding Children and Young People Resource booklet which they should read through prior to the online. Part two will be an online virtual workshop via Zoom lasting approximately 100 minutes delivered by one of our experienced tutors.
- Individual participant bookings can be made via Eventbrite. The cost per participant is £15. Participants must register via Eventbrite for the date specific workshop they wish to take part in. Please see links below. Once registered, participants will receive an email that their registration is confirmed as well as the pre-learning materials and the link to access the online workshop.
- Workshops will take place via Zoom with a tutor delivering the content live. Participants will be required to log onto Zoom via the link approx. 5-10 mins prior to the start of the workshop. Following introductions, the tutor will deliver the interactive workshop which lasts approximately 100 minutes plus breaks so just less than 2 hours. Throughout the workshop participants will be expected to fully participate (with their cameras on) in polls and breakout rooms to test knowledge and promote discussion (just as in the face-to-face workshop).
- Upon completion of the online virtual workshop participants will receive a certificate of attendance and be asked to give their feedback via a short online survey. Certificates will be issued dependent on participants fully engaging in the workshop content.
- The number of places on each workshop is limited to 12 persons presently to allow for the participant/tutor interaction to take place and ensure a good quality experience for all taking part.
Until such times as we are in a position to deliver the face to face workshop, this will be the only option available for volunteers and coaches to undertake Safeguarding Children and Young People awareness training. Certificates will display that it was an online virtual workshop that was undertaken and we would recommend that following the online workshop participants should undertake a face-to-face workshop rather than an online refresher in 3 years’ time when required.
Online virtual workshops will commence from Monday 29th June 2020 Sport NI are currently taking bookings for the first two workshops with the later workshops opening up should demand require. Any enquiries should be directed to email@example.com
Safeguarding Children and Young People Online Virtual Workshop
Date Time Booking Link
Monday 29th June 7-9pm CLICK HERE
Tuesday 30th June 7-9pm CLICK HERE
Monday 6th July 7-9pm Not yet released
Wednesday 8th July 7-9pm Not yet released
Monday 20th July 7-9pm Not yet released
Wednesday 22nd July 7-9pm Not yet released
Club Children’s Officer & Designated Liaison Person
All clubs must appoint a Club Children’s Officer and a Designated Liaison Person. Role descriptions of CCO and DLP are available here. If there is difficulty identifying two separate individuals to take up these roles, the Children’s Officer can be appointed as Designated Liaison person once the club/organisation is clear about the responsibilities of each role, however best practice advises that they are kept as separate roles.
Upon appointment, the following training is available and must be completed.
Safeguarding 1 – Child Welfare & Protection Basic Awareness Course (3hrs)
This course educates participants on the implementation of best practice in protecting the welfare of children involved in sport. The workshop provides introductory information on codes of conduct, bullying, recruitment, etc. as well as child protection guidelines. By following the principles, policy and practical guidelines contained in the Code, sports leaders are playing their part in providing a safe and enjoyable environment in which children can learn and thrive.
Safeguarding 2 – Club Children’s Officer Workshop (3 hrs)
A person appointed to the Club Children’s Officer position in a club must have completed the Safeguarding 1 workshop and should complete the NEW Club Children’s Officer workshop.
The appointment of Club Children’s Officer is an essential element in the creation of a quality atmosphere for young people in your club. They act as a resource to members with regards to children’s issues and also ensure that children have a voice in the running of the club and can talk freely about their experiences. This course will help the Club Children’s Officer to carry out the function of their role in the club and support the implementation of best practice in the club. Participants will also receive a Club Children’s Officer Action Planning document as part of the training.
Safeguarding 3 – Designated Liaison Person Workshop (3hrs)
A person appointed to the Designated Liaison Person position in a club must have completed the Safeguarding 1 workshop and should complete the NEW Designated Liaison Person workshop.
The Designated Liaison Person will be the person responsible for dealing with any concerns about the protection of children. The designated person is responsible for reporting allegations or suspicions of child abuse to Health Services Executive or Social Services (NI) and/or An Garda Síochána / PSNI. It is recommended that this person is a senior club person.
The above workshops are available through the CGI and your Local Sports Partnership/Sport NI, details of which are available in the Contacts Section of our website.
Safeguarding 1 Refresher Course
Safeguarding 1 course must be completed, firstly on a face to face basis and then an online refresher course every 3 years until the 9th year which will require the face to face course being completed again.
For those resident in ROI please CLICK HERE for the online refresher course.
For those resident in Northern Ireland please CLICK HERE for the online refresher course
The NSPCC in Northern Ireland also offer an online introductory safeguarding course for anyone who has infrequent contact with children: CLICK HERE