On December 11th 2017, the Children First Act 2015 commenced. This new law puts Children First: the National Guidance for the Protection and Welfare of Children, on a statutory footing. The Act provides for a number of key child protection measures.
Children First Compliance
Please see the following supporting documentation and instructions on how Golf Clubs can comply with the Children First Act 2015 which came into effect on the 11th March 2018.
This is a mandatory process that all organisations providing services to children must complete.
The following are the steps to compliance:
Step 1 – Review The Risk Assessment Document
- The risk assessment has been pre-populated for you to review at your Golf Clubs Committee meeting.
- Each risk identified must be ranked; High, Medium or Low. The supporting policies and guidance have been indicated for you
- Once each risk is ranked, you must consider the factors in place to reduce the risk and any further action you can take to lower it.
- You can include other risks of potential harm that are specific to your Golf Club
- After you review your Risk Assessment, minute it at your meeting and get your Chairperson and Children’s Officer to sign and date it.
Please see below the Risk Assessment Template for Golf Clubs:
Step 2 – Your Child Safeguarding Statement
- When step one is completed review your Child Safeguarding Statement and sign the document.
- As per Section 11 of the Children First Act 2015, you are required to display your Child Safeguarding Statement in a prominent place in your Golf Club (notice board, public area, website etc.).
- We suggest that you also distribute your signed Child Safeguarding Statement to all parents by mail/email/web or social media on an annual basis. (Perhaps as a part of membership process).
Please see below the Safeguarding Statement Template for Golf Clubs:
Step 3 – Confirmation Of Compliance To CGI
Please click on the following link to confirm the above steps have been completed:
NB: It is the responsibility of every Golf Club Management Committee to comply with the Children First legislation by completing the above steps.
Additional information can be found on the links below:
Children First Guidance:
Children First Act: