Training in relation to Juniors/Beginners
A central goal for all those involved in sport for young people is to provide a safe, positive and nurturing environment where children can develop and enhance their physical and social skills. In order to achieve this the CGI have a number of training workshops available in relation to juniors for golf clubs:
ASQ Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Golf
The ASQ Level 1 Award in Coaching Golf provides individuals with the knowledge and competence to assist PGA professionals and more qualified coaches in delivering golf coaching sessions, normally under direct supervision. The Level 1 Volunteer Coach usually assists the PGA Professional in group coaching of beginners or junior golfers. To be eligible for the ASQ Level 1 Award in Coaching Golf Course, the candidate must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a commitment to attend all of the specified course dates
- Read through the course material and be prepared for assessment
The PGA in Ireland highly recommends that each candidate complete the Confederation of Golf in Ireland Leaders’ workshop. Before recruiting and training volunteer coaches, the PGA must be satisfied that the volunteer can identify where they will use their Level coaching qualification, e.g. club coaching programme. Further information is available from the PGA by clicking HERE
CGI Leaders’ workshop
The leaders workshop is aimed at PGA Professionals, volunteers and parents who are helping out in your junior section. The free two hour workshop can be held in your club and covers the following:
- Fundamental Movement Skills activities.
- How to create engaging sessions using activity based learning with no technical instruction.
- Focus on work with large and small groups of children, including communication and organisation.
- How to amend tasks and activities to cater for differences in ability.
- How to set up golf course activity that caters for all juniors.
- Participants are provided with practical information and skills to run fun chipping, pitching and putting activities at the club to support the coaching of the PGA professional.
- Each participant will receive a pack of leaders cards which has 20 various putting and chipping games.
For further information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (01) 505 4272
Safeguarding 1- Basic Awareness Workshop
All those working with juniors are required to complete the Safeguarding 1 workshop.
The 3 hour workshop will enable participants to be able to:
- Implement best practice in protecting the welfare of children involved in sport participants
- Create a child-centered environment within the golf club
- Provide a safe and enjoyable environment in which children can learn and thrive
- List categories of abuse
- Information on codes of conduct, bullying, recruitment,
- Make appropriate response to a disclosure
- For further information contact: email@example.com or phone (01) 505 4272