Following on from the successful staging of The 148th Open at Royal Portrush GC in July 2019, the Golfing Union of Ireland (Ulster Branch) and the Confederation of Golf in Ireland have been successful in obtaining funding to support golf clubs across Northern Ireland to take part in The Open Legacy Community Golf Programme.
As part of the Open Legacy Community Golf Programme this year CGI are running two inclusive golf coaching workshops for PGA professionals. This will be the first time that this coaching workshop has been run in Ireland and it will be delivered by PGA Fellow Professional Craig Thomas who is a PGA Tutor and Lead Coach at The ISPS Handa Academy.
The workshops, which will be held at The GUI/ ILGU Regional Coaching Centre at Greenmount, aims to equip PGA Professionals with the knowledge and confidence to support people with a disability, of all abilities in any coaching environment, recognise talent and help talented participants progress on to an appropriate competition pathway. The workshop also aims to give PGA Professionals an opportunity to put theory into practice during the practical coaching session delivered to people with a disability as part of the workshop.
You do not have to be currently coaching disabled people but should be interested in getting involved in coaching in this area.
Workshop Learning Outcomes
By the end of the workshop, delegates will be able to:
- reflect on past experiences and recognise and share best practice
- make appropriate modifications, adaptations and progressions to a planned session to include all participants
- explore the participant pathway for disabled participants within disability sport
- identify the basic elements of classification in relation to disability sport
- know where to go for further disability sport-specific information
Places are free but limited and offered on a first come first served basis. All places must be booked in advance via the following links.
Venue: GUI/ ILGU regional training facility at Greenmount, Antrim
- Wednesday 25th March 2020 10.30am-4.30pm CLICK HERE FOR BOOKING
- Thursday 26th March 2020 10.30am-4.30pm CLICK HERE FOR BOOKING