Golf4Girls4Life was officially launched in 2017 following extensive consultation with junior girls, junior convenors, PGA Professionals and feedback from pilot clubs. The programme, which consisted of four stages, this year has welcomed over 300 girls to Festivals of Golf around the country and educated countless volunteers about the recruitment and retention of young female golfers from beginner level to obtaining a handicap of 35.
Continually acknowledging feedback regarding the programme, the Confederation of Golf in Ireland (CGI) and the Irish Ladies Golf Union (ILGU) introduced an additional two stages in 2019 which saw further progression of girls outside of the club environment.
Having completed Stage 4 of Golf4Girls4Life, a girl will have obtained a handicap of 35 but will also have been logging her own personal bests in a range of tasks including rules, etiquette, social challenges and skills using her Golf4Girls4Life Journals. Rather than leaving this girl continue her golfing journey solo, Golf4Girls4Life Stage 5 & 6 now aim to give girls the opportunity to experience golf outside of their club. Girls will be given an introduction to a variety of competition formats, will be introduced to girls of a similar level and interest to them in their area and will continue to learn and develop their knowledge of the rules of golf. Independent learning and skill development will continue to be at the forefront of this stage and girls will be encouraged to compete at District and National ILGU Tournaments.
Both stages will see a calendar of events implemented where PGA Professionals, CGI Staff and Volunteers will guide the groups on a range of activities. There will be five events in total: four pre-season; one in February, March, April, May and one post season in September
Objectives of stage 5&6:
– To create an environment where girls can socialise and develop their skills with girls of similar ages and standards
– Coaching sessions with a nominated PGA professional to develop short game skills, On course skills and technique.
– To continue to advance the girls skill development and independent learning
– To prepare the girl’s for the Playing Season in 2020
– To increase girl’s awareness on playing opportunities available to them at District & National events
– To increase the girl’s awareness to the selection criteria for Provincial Development Coaching
– Please note that there is no requirement to have gone through stages 1-4 in order to participate in this stage.
Closing Date: 20th January 2020
– Girls must be Under 19 on 1st January 2020
– Girls must have a handicap of 18-35 (those with a handicap lower than 18 can also apply)
Applications are now open for Golf4Girls4Life Stages 5&6 and the programme will begin in February 2020. See below for information on dates, times, veneus and PGA pro:
Apply for STAGE 5 and 6 in the appropriate District below: