Recently, the Captain, Bryan Collins and Lady Captain, Rita O’Connor, of Laytown & Bettystown Golf Club were presented with a certificate on the implementation of the Golf Cardiac Response System at the club. This is an ongoing service to the Club, provided by Heartsafety Solutions. The service is designed to provide a coordinated response to a medical emergency on the golf course. It includes the following:-
- All members being provided with a small plastic card and whistle. The card contains a simple procedure, including the CPR procedure, as to what to do in the event of a medical emergency on the golf course;
- All visiting golfers being provided with a hard paper version of the members card, referred to above;
- The club having a defibrillator located in the clubhouse. The defibrillator is serviced periodically, by Heartsafety Solutions, in accordance with the manufacturer’s requirements and is monitored on the internet on a 24/7 basis to ensure its readiness when / if required in an emergency;
- The National Ambulance Service being informed of key information relating to Laytown & Bettystown Golf Course, including the EIRCODE, defibrillator location and contact details, rendezvous point for the ambulance, etc. In the event of an incident that may require a defibrillator within 1 km of the golf club, the emergency caller will be notified of the location of the defibrillator at the golf club, and
- Some members and staff being trained and certified in CPR and the defibrillator to Irish Heart Foundation standards.
The key personnel in the club involved in the project were Irene McManus, Committee Member, Tom Ryan, Club President and Eddie Huston, Chairman of the Board of Management.
Although the new procedures have only very recently been launched, a significant number of members have expressed an interest in learning CPR and the defibrillator.
The Captain of Laytown & Bettystown Golf Club, Bryan Collins, said ‘Many thanks to Heartsafety Solutions for introducing us to the Golf Cardiac Response System. The feedback from our members has been very positive.’