The Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Golf provides individuals with the knowledge and competence to assist PGA professionals and more qualified coaches in delivering golf coaching sessions, normally under direct supervision. The Level 1 Volunteer Coach usually assists the PGA Professional in group coaching of beginners or junior golfers. To be eligible for the Level 1 Certificate in Coaching Golf Course, the candidate must:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Have a commitment to attend all of the specified course dates
- Read through the course material and be prepared for assessment
The PGA in Ireland highly recommends that each candidate complete the Junior Golf Ireland Leaders’ workshop. Before recruiting and training volunteer coaches, the PGA must be satisfied that the volunteer can identify where they will use their Level coaching qualification, e.g. club coaching programme.
The two day practical course involves tuition and assessment of basic technical coaching for beginner golfers. Assessments include:
- Multiple choice questionnaire (45 minutes)
- Delivery of a practical coaching session
Throughout the delivery and assessment of the qualification, candidates will be required to demonstrate and apply the correct technical models for the full range of applicable shots. Thus, although candidates will not be required to have any specific handicap, they will need to be able to demonstrate an appropriate level of playing ability.
Steps towards Qualification as a Volunteer Golf Coach
1. Candidates must submit an online enquiry to the PGA through the following link:
NOTE: this is an initial enquiry, NOT the official application
2. Once the candidate’s enquiry has been vetted and the related PGA Professional contacted, he or she will receive a Level 1 application pack by post from the PGA Training Academy at the Belfry.
3. In order to confirm their place on the course, the candidate submits his or her application form and course payment fee (£288 or €350) prior to the course closing date, which is 5 weeks in advance of the Level 1 course.
4. Following the course closing date, the candidate receives a Level 1 course pack, which includes the resources required to complete the qualification. Candidates should read through the Home Study Workbook in preparation for the course.
5. The candidate attends the 2 day Level 1 course. On the successful completion of the course assessments, the candidate receives a Level 1 Certificate in Golf Coaching